Caring for a wooden memorial is important to ensure its longevity and preserve its appearance. Our wooden memorials are made…...
Caring for your wooden memorial
Caring for a wooden memorial is important to ensure its longevity and preserve its appearance. Our wooden memorials are made from high quality English oak and depending on the memorial they are coated in Fiddes Exterior High Build Wood Oil or Osmo UV Protection Oil to protect them and enhance the appearance of the wood.
However, over time, wooden memorials will experience natural wear and tear from being outside in the elements, damage from the sun, rain, wetness of ground, drainage and other weather conditions.
To keep your memorial looking good for as long as possible, you will need to give it a coat of Fiddes Exterior High Build Wood Oil or Osmo UV Protection Oil every 3-6 months.
Regular maintenance will help ensure that your memorial remains in good condition for years to come.
Here are some tips to help you take care of your memorial
- Remove the memorial and store in a dry place before applying oil
- Using a soft brush or cloth gently scrub the surface to remove dirt, dust and grime. If it doesn’t improve with gentle scrubbing, you might need a fine grade sandpaper or ultra fine steel wool (0000 grade). Remember to wipe away any sanding dust with a clean cloth
- Before applying the oil, you will need to ‘key’ the surface with a fine grit sandpaper. Go in the direction of the grain
- Small splits and cracks may appear in the timber surface or side edges. These can be filled with wood coloured wax. We recommend Liberon Wax Filler Stick, colour light walnut for the bestmatch. Simply rub the wax into any crack until the area is filled, then wipe off excess wax with a rag, then sand the surface going in the direction of the grain. We advise you do this before applying the oil
- When the surface is clean, dry and dust-free apply a generous coat of oil with a clean brush. We advise you to apply an even coat of Fiddes Exterior High Build Wood Oil or Osmo UV Protection Oil designed for outdoor use to shield the post from moisture and UV rays. Make sure you catch any runs from the lettering or side edges when applying
- Allow the oil to penetrate the wood for five to ten minutes
- Before applying further coats allow to dry for a minimum of five hours. We recommend a minimum of two to three coats at each oiling
- For best results gently rub with wool wire or 240 grit minimum sandpaper between coats. It is important to ensure that sufficient coats of oil are applied to give maximum protection
- We advise you to conduct regular inspections for any signs of damage or wear, check for splinters, cracks or loose components
Terms and conditions
Our wooden memorials come with a manufacturers guarantee of 12 months. If your memorial develops an issue within 12 months of the date of installation, the manufacturer will replace free of charge, except in the following circumstances:
- The memorial has not been maintained as specified in the care instructions
- The recommended oil has not been used on the memorial
For any issues, please contact your GreenAcres Park. You will need to supply at least two large, good quality photos clearly showing what the issue is. After receiving the photos, the manufacturer will assess the best course of action to resolve the problem.
If the manufacturer decides to replace the memorial, a replacement order will need to be processed. In this instance, contact the GreenAcres team.
GreenAcres is not responsible for natural wear and tear.
Whether it’s expected or not, nothing can prepare you for the death of a loved one. Organising a funeral is…...
It may seem strange to be thinking about your own death and what happens afterwards. But planning how – and…...
Mother’s Day and the build-up to it can be an incredibly triggering time – especially if you had a difficult…...
If you ever have to plan your own or a loved one’s funeral, one of the things you’ll need to…...
Christmas is a holiday synonymous with joy, togetherness and celebration. But amidst the twinkling lights and festive cheer, the festive…...